[xstreamos-discuss] XStreamOS Desktop & VirtualBox

Alessandro D'Ovidio adovidio at consumers1st.ltd.uk
Fri Jun 12 17:53:36 CEST 2015

First of all, many thanks for your praiseworthy efforts!

I have installed XStreamOS Desktop in VirtualBox, where a Solaris 11.2
machine is already running smoothly.
All went rather fine except for:

1) No sound available. My VirtualBox audio settings are: Windows
DirectSound / ICH AC97. It's working fine in Solaris, but it doesn't in
XS. I tried other settings, but to no avail.
2) Setting a different locale in .profile (LC_TIME, LC_CTYPE, etc.)
works in Solaris, but it doesn't in XS. After a log out, of course... I
had to put the settings in /etc/default/init.
3) Solaris allows to install some games, like the gnome-games, but in XS
they are not available. I think that a desktop OS should contemplate
some games...
4) PCManFM doesn't allow to umount anything, unlike Nautilus in Solaris.
I have to umount cdroms and pen drives manually using the terminal. Not
a great solution for a mainstream user...

Your LibreOffice 4 build is a great asset, compared to Solaris, where
only OpenOffice 3.4 is available, thanks to the Adfinis Group. I think
that your OS is going to be really great.

Please let me know about the a.m. issues, and
Good work!

Alessandro D'Ovidio