[xstreamos-discuss] XStreamOS Desktop beta2 switch from beta1 iso

Predrag Zecevic [Unix Systems Administrator] Predrag.Zecevic at 2e-systems.com
Thu Apr 3 12:21:14 CEST 2014

On 03/26/14 10:25 AM, Gabriele Bulfon wrote:
> The following instructions will allow you to install the current beta1 iso, then switch to the beta2
> for testing the new features and corrections.
> This will allow us to receive your inputs and have the beta2 iso contain all that is requested.
>
> - Download and install the beta1 iso
> - Run package manager and do a full update from the original preconfigured beta repo
> - Restart the system
> - Add the new repo "http://pkg.sonicle.com/xstreamos-beta2/" to the sonicle.com publisher
> - Remove the old repo "http://pkg.sonicle.com/xstreamos-beta/" from the sonicle.com publisher
> - For VBox installations: before next step, be sure to remove vbox additions, the new update will have an update Xorg.
> - Do a full update
> - For VBox installations: install additions from this http://xstream.sonicle.com/beta2/VBoxGuestAdditions-XStreamDesktop-beta2.iso
> - Restart the system
> - Original beta1 iso did not require gvfs, so this is not installed during update, use next step for this
> - To enable VFS urls on file manager, install pkg://sonicle.com/library/gnome/gvfs and verify you have pkg:/service/network/samba
> for smb urls
>
> pkg searches may not work from time to time, when we are updating/adding packages to the repo.
> If you need to search and it's not working, just send an email here, and we will run a rebuild.
>
> Enjoy
> Gabriele.

Hi all,

I have just did all steps and can confirm that it had worked like a charm (all done in VBox guest) :-)

Was playing only a bit, but it looks OK (plenty of window managers available), Mozilla: latest FF and TB bit behind, VLC, LibreOffice.

But MySQL like product bit oldish:
$ pkg list | grep -iE "mysql|percona|maria"
database/mysql-51/library                         5.1.37-1.153.0.0.0         i--
library/apr-util-14/dbd-mysql                     1.4.1-1.153.0.0.0          i--

Also Apache/PHP, etc:
apache-22 and php-52/php-53 are bit outdated, postgres too

And I would like to see more useful packages:
roxterm, terminator and tmux, shmux, pdsh, postfix, etc....
Integrated openldap/kerberos5/openssh (plus k5start) - complete list is huge.

But it looks promising and very nice.

I also have few questions:

a) does anyone know if I can move from OI to XS (just replacing publisher will work)?
b) is it planned to port some changes from OI /sfe and /sfe-encumbered repositories? Or using something similar to get more nice
utilities/tools?
c) what would be future cycle of updates?

Many thanks for great guide and even greater work.

Regards.

--
Predrag Zečević, Technical Support Analyst, 2e Systems GmbH

Telephone: +49 6196 9505 815, Facsimile: +49 6196 9505 894
Mobile:    +49  174 3109 288,     Skype: predrag.zecevic
E-mail:    predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com

Headquarter:          2e Systems GmbH, Königsteiner Str. 87,
                       65812 Bad Soden am Taunus, Germany
Company registration: Amtsgericht Königstein (Germany), HRB 7303
Managing director:    Phil Douglas

http://www.2e-systems.com/ - Making your business fly!

Q: How do you stop an elephant from charging? A: Take away his credit cards.