[xstreamos-discuss] [smartos-discuss] pkgsrc MATE install issue

karthik longmode at rediffmail.com
Sun Jul 16 18:29:37 CEST 2017

Hi GabrieleYes MATE can be a good addition to XStreamOS. I am sure XStreamOS user community would welcome it. About pkgsrc on XStreamOS, I was checking out how many of the desktops provided work and how many dont. Turns out KDE4 and MATE are broken. I had used Hipster in the past and KDE4 was broken on that too.Thanks for your suggestions on debugging the MATE issue. pkgsrc 2017Q2 MATE 1.18 made no difference. The same issues remain.RegardsKarthikFrom: Gabriele Bulfon <gabriele.bulfon at sonicle.com>Sent: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 19:03:42To: karthik <longmode at rediffmail.com>, smartos-discuss at lists.smartos.org, xstreamos-discuss at lists.sonicle.comSubject: Re: [xstreamos-discuss] [smartos-discuss] pkgsrc MATE install issue Hi,I can check MATE and build an XStreamOS package from sources, if you think it may be interesting for XSOS desktop.I bet there is some incompatibility between the binary and the libraries we ship on XSOS.Maybe you can find them using "ldd" on
  mate binaries and/or libraries.Gabriele -= Sent using Webtop 5 =-
Da: karthik <longmode at rediffmail.com>A: smartos-discuss at lists.smartos.orgxstreamos-discuss@lists.sonicle.comData: 14 luglio 2017 12.15.06 CESTOggetto: Re: [xstreamos-discuss] [smartos-discuss] pkgsrc MATE install issue Hi Jonathan,From what I know, XStreamOS is in many ways similar to OI Hipster. I am using XStreamOS on both VirtualBox in a Win 7 laptop and a bare metal install on desktop PC. The issues I reported both on the github repo (https://github.com/joyent/pkgsrc-legacy/issues/518)  and on this mailing list were for the desktop install of MATE 1.14 whereas in 2017Q2 it is MATE 1.18. Is your VM on virtualbox or something else? For my VirtualBox install, I followed the instructions given in the below link(under section "Installation on VirtualBox"):http://sonicle.com/index.jsp?pagename=xstreamos-desktop&parent=productsI dont use pkgsrc on the VirtualBox install.On my desktop PC I will install MATE 1.18 ,check on the issues you have mentioned an
 d comeback to you with my findings.Also,I have successfully setup pkgsrc XFCE,KDE 3.5 and WindowMaker on my desktop PC, all of this on 2016Q4. XFCE needed some post-install configuration to make panel changes permanent. I did try KDE 4 on both 2016Q4 and 2017Q1 but on both occasions the plasma setup screen appears and then a message "KWin is unstable" message pops up presenting an option of KWin or Openbox. If i choose OpenBox instead of KWin I get a black screen. Was there any postinstall configuration you did on OmniOS to get KDE4 running? It does not matter if some of the steps are OmniOS specific, I'll try to adapt them to XStreamOS.Since I like KDE very much and could not get KDE4 to run, installed KDE 3.5 instead.A big thanks to you and the joyent team for providing this vast package set, combined with the native package sets of the distros, makes illumos on par with BSD and linux in terms of package/application choices.  I am including the XStr
 eamOS discuss mailing list in my reply, so that other XStreamOS users too can benefit from this discussion and potentially contribute.Thanks & RegardsKarthikFrom: "Jonathan Perkin" <jperkin at joyent.com>Sent: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 14:07:12To: smartos-discuss at lists.smartos.orgSubject: Re: [smartos-discuss] pkgsrc MATE install issue* On 2017-06-20 at 22:11 BST, karthik wrote:> When I do startx -- :1 MATE fails to startup. I am getting an error like this:>> mate-settings-daemon:fatal:relocation error:file:> /opt/local/lib/gio/modules/> libgiofam.so:symbol FAMOpen2:referenced symbol not found.Hi karthik,I installed XStreamOS in a VM to test our new 2017Q2 release, and Idon't see the same error as you.  However, there are some issues withMATE on XStreamOS that I don't see on my OmniOS test host, for examplelaunching terminals from the Applications menu doesn't work while itdoes if you run them manually.I don't see similar issues wi
 th gnome-session or awesome etc, they allseem to work fine.  I'm not sure what in XStreamOS would cause theproblems, you may have better insight into the differences it hascompared to OmniOS and others.If you have time to dig into this that would be helpful, I think2017Q2 will be a better base to work from as I fixed a bunch of issuescaused by bad Oracle upstream patches.  The 2017Q2 packages areavailable from the usual place now: https://pkgsrc.joyent.com/install-on-illumos/and I'll send out a release announcement later today.Cheers,--Jonathan Perkin  -  Joyent, Inc.  -  www.joyent.com-------------------------------------------smartos-discussArchives: https://www.listbox.com/member/archive/184463/=nowRSS Feed: https://www.listbox.com/member/archive/rss/184463/29021699-39663120Modify Your Subscription: https://www.listbox.com/member/?member_id=29021699&id_secret=29021699-51a2d894Powered by Listbox: http://www.listbox.com