[xstreamos-discuss] ISO -XS 154 Test Results

karthik longmode at rediffmail.com
Mon Jun 26 13:08:53 CEST 2017

Hi XStreamOS Community,For those of you running the latest update of XStreamOS, I have an update on VLC usage for you. In the below email I had reported that VLC crashes when playing mp4 or avi file. The latest version is VLC 2.2.4 . I have noticed that the crash happens only when using LXDE desktop logged in via the lightdm login manager. If i login via startx with XFCE as a desktop then the immediate crash does not happen. I am using XFCE from the joyent pkgsrc repo(2016Q4). This is using native Xorg of XStreamOS, so the startx will be located at /usr/bin/startx.The same experience was with VLC 2.2.2 which is also present in the Sonicle IPS repo. I mostly watch videos downloaded from Youtube on VLC. Both VLC versions were stable enough on XFCE to have pleasant viewing session even in full screen mode. ThanksKarthikFrom: Gabriele Bulfon <gabriele.bulfon at sonicle.com>Sent: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 20:04:50To: karthik <longmode at rediffmail.com>, xstreamos-discuss at lists.
 sonicle.comSubject: Re: [xstreamos-discuss] ISO -XS 154 Test Results Graeat Job Karthik, thanks a lot for the feedback!Gabriele
Da: karthik <longmode at rediffmail.com>A: xstreamos-discuss at lists.sonicle.comData: 16 giugno 2017 12.55.47 CESTOggetto: Re: [xstreamos-discuss] ISO -XS 154 Test Results Hi AllMentioned below are the test results of the test ISO and USB images I received privately for XStreamOS 154 :ISO installation of both VirtualBox(under Win 7) and on a desktop PC successful.Desktop Installation options selected: MBR installation,install to whole 300 GB partition(instead of choosing a slice within the partition). My PC configuration is like this:Intel Core i7 6700K,ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming motherboard,8 GB DDR4 RAM,1TB Seagate HDD,no separate graphics card.  I have only XStreamOS on the desktop.I noticed a few package/application issues after desktop installation :1. VLC crashes when playing mp4 or avi file.2. System monitor fails to launch. I used the GUI package manager and installed the GNOME 3 version of it, the issue still present.3. The contents of the memory section for lxt
 ask vanish a few seconds after lxtask is launched and running. No issues with USB3 support. Otherwise the install is fine.I burned the USB image to a new SanDisk Flash drive with ImageUSB in Win 7. But when I booted up on my desktop I got a blank screen with just a blinking white cursor. I had legacy MBR boot enabled in my UEFI BIOS. Re-burned the USB image with Win32 Disk Imager also and tried once again, got the same result. I am not very familiar with USB installs since mostly I burn the ISO to a rewritable DVD for installation, so not sure if anything not done correctly on my side.RegardsKarthik  Da: karthik <longmode at rediffmail.com>A: xstreamos-discuss at lists.sonicle.comData: 27 maggio 2017 15.08.07 CESTOggetto: [xstreamos-discuss] new ISO -XS 154 HiWhen will the new ISO for XStreamOS 154 be released. I have two installs of XS 153(in VirtualBox with sonicle extensions installed),one being beta3 and the other May-2015 release which I am unable to
  update due to package conflicts during pkg update.For the beta3 install, the packages header-math,sendmail,gcc-44 and ftp cause conflicting actions. I have successfully uninstalled header-math and sendmail. But I cannot uninstall ftp as that is dependent on the dhcp service package.If this is uninstalled I cannot configure/access internet via DHCP. I am using this OS as my personal Unix box.Faced the same issues with May-2015 ISO install.ThanksKarthik_______________________________________________
XStreamOS-discuss mailing list
XStreamOS-discuss at lists.sonicle.com